Friday, June 12, 2009

Fairwell Echo

After 5 years of going door to door, it was finally time for Dave's last knock. Like the majority of previous knocks, it was a crazy old lady who didn't read the paper.

And so, with a card and a gift, a few hand shakes and hugs and a drink or two, Dave said his final goodbyes and set off for pastures green.

A few days later, the following letter arrived at the Echo:

"Dear Echoers and Jayne.

Just wanted to say a huge "Thank You!!" for the gift and the card. Speaking of the card, Ann the feeling is mutual, if only I weren't married, Brian, me too, Lisa any day now I swear and thanks and best wishes to you all.

Looking back I've seen so much working here, alcoholism, violence, verbal abuse, nudity... but enough about Brian... I've knocked on thousands of doors, spoken to thousands of people and got around 10 of them to sign up to the Echo. It's been good... mostly...

Jayne, should you ever try to replace me, the new kid's going to have some pretty big shoes to fill. I've been consistently the cheapest employee of the Echo, bar none. In addition, I can read maps, find the car and ALWAYS remind people when its time to go home... usually at around 6:30pm... I used to be responsible for switching on the light in the car too, but that proved too much to handle.

Kate, I know how much you like that Internet thing, so I've put my email and my Blog at the top of the page. No excuses.

I'll miss you all, but I'll be in touch.

Now hopefully this letter will reach you before the redundancies start...

Dave."

No comments: