Thursday, January 25, 2018
Friday, January 05, 2018
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
It’s officially “the most wonderful time of the year!”
When Matthew peaked out of the window on a cold Sunday morning it all came as a bit of a shock. He’d never really seen snow before, he had no idea what was happening, but he knew he liked it.
The only question was where to build it?
There was initially a suggestion of her going to the park with her friends to build one. Now that may seem like a good idea, but I decided it would be a rookie mistake:
- It would involve risking all our lives driving in the car,
- The good snow would all be gone, leaving only muddy mess,
- Most importantly, I had just downloaded new content for Zelda and it seemed like a long time to be away from my game.
Which, of course, left the obvious answer: building on the drive using the beautiful snow covering our car.
After wrapping up nice and warm we all got to work.
Charlotte continued to be ecstatic, Matthew continued to be confused.
A pile of car snow, two garden sticks, a carrot and some colourful “eyes” and we were done.
Good job I stopped Jean from giving it a penis.
After a few minutes she finally decided on the perfect name for her new best friend: “Davina Bow Charlotte.”
She informed Davina that she had to go back inside because it was cold, but she came out regularly to check up on her.
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
It started off with a fun game of “Guess what Matthew wants”. For anyone who’s never looked after a small toddler, figuring out what they want is kind of like a game of “20 questions” but instead of answering the questions you just get screamed at.
Anyway, I eventually figured out he wanted a pudding. I gave him it and he seemed very happy. He ate a tiny mouthful then started screaming.
Round 2 of “Guess what Matthew wants.”
In amongst the screams I made out the words “Jie jie!!” - this is Chinese for sister. Pretty much all the words he knows are Chinese.
But what did his sister have to do with his pudding? Hmmm...
Turns out, he was refusing to eat the pudding that he really really wanted because Charlotte didn’t have one. As soon as we gave her one he munched his up happily.
He’s so smitten.
I asked Charlotte if she likes Matthew. She shrugged and said “kinda, but he’s annoying.”
Sunday, September 03, 2017
- If you're doing it to "look good" be prepared for disappointment. I've lost 6kg of weight, including 4kg of fat and, honestly, I don't look any different. But I do feel better, which is far more important.
- Ignore all the vast amount of often conflicting "advice" out there. Unless you're planning to be an athlete, it doesn't matter if you get the "best" or most "efficient" plan. Keep it simple: eat healthy and exercise. Build the details around what works best for you. For example, if I tried to force myself to go to a gym, I probably would have found a long list of excuses not to but I found doing over 10km of walking a day quite relaxing. Figure out what works for you.
- Don't make any food "forbidden", just acknowledge that some of it is stupid. If you eat a bit of stupid food, oh well, live and learn. Making things "forbidden" just increases people's desire to have them. I'm fairly certain if a new law was made to outlaw punching yourself in the face their would be an immediate increase in the number of people punching themselves in the face.
- Get yourself a scale that measures fat/muscle. These figures won't be as accurate, but weight loss isn't always a good thing.
- For your sanity, make a graph.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
They are having a fantastic time in China, seeing the rest of Jean's family and friends, eating great food, going to loads of play places, ice-skating, even learning to play the piano.
I'm just going to increase my life expectancy by 6 weeks. Simple.
Disclaimer: Whilst I am technically a "doctor", I'm not the useful kind. I don't know jack about health and medicine. Everything below is just details of what I am up to, NOT advice on what you should do.
Three weeks ago I weighed around 78kg. Apparently for my height anything over 75kg is overweight and ideally I should weigh 65kg. So, how to get from A to B?
The plan: Eat less, exercise more.
I know right? I'm a genius.
So, now that I'm half way through, how's it going.
Oh, one piece of advice I would give to anyone trying to lose weight. MAKE A GRAPH. Seriously, as you can see from above, it's not every day my weight goes down. Those peaks do not relate to times of "weakness" - weight is random. If you just weigh yourself from day to day those increases can be soul-destroying. It does not mean you have done anything wrong, it does not mean you should give up.
But, of cause, none of the figures I've quoted yet are actually important. "Weight" is kinda irrelevant in that "weight loss" is only good if you're losing surplus fat, not muscle.
3 down, 3 to go. Wish me luck.
Tuesday, June 06, 2017
5 years ago my little angel was born.
After 5 days of labour I was shattered. Jean was probably tired too. But we had both never been happier.
5 years on, not much has changed. I'm still shattered, Jean more so, and we've still never been happier.
Charlotte is amazing.
I asked her yesterday what she liked most about being 4. She thought for a while then eventually said "I liked that it was the Year of the Chicken."
I asked her if she was excited about being 5, she didn't hesitate: "Of cause!! How can I not be excited!! Everything in front of me is so beautiful!!!"
Happy birthday my wonderful little girl. Enjoy being 5 and stay beautiful.
Smile, be happy.