Friday, December 16, 2005

Judgement Day

Dave stood next to the man playing the bagpipes under a giant sparkly Christmas tree and waited. Aline had sounded upset in her text. Apparently "they" all were upset with Dave as of late. He had "changed".

When Aline arrived on the sceen, she said the words that can drive fear and dread into even the bravest of men.

"Let's go shopping, I've just got a couple more people to buy things for."

(NOTE: Yes Macca, I know what your getting from Aline. All I can say is "ouch, what did you do?")

The shopping came and went and the pair of them now sat together in McDonalds with a minty McFlurry each. What better time to finally have the deep conversation that had been on Aline's mind for clearly 2 years now. This was it, Judgement Day.

The conversation was surprisingly short and painless. Aline appologised almost as much as she accused and not much was said other than, "We should really meet up more often."

Dave agreed whole heartedly and all was right in the world once more. Judgement Day had passed and killer robots had not destroyed humanity, what more could anyone want. It truely was a Merry Christmas. Of cause, it meant Dave's speach went mostly unsaid...

"To Whom it may Concern (i.e All of "them")

I am fully aware that I have not spent as much time with all my old friends as I did in the good old days. Unfortantly, this is kind of the way of life and not entirely my fault.
Obviously I could never spend as much time with the people I used to live with as I used to, for the simple reason that we no longer live together. Nor do we go to school together, nor Uni together, nor work together. Straight away that kinda narrows down a whole heap of time.
I am in university most days from 9 till 5, I am then in work monday to thursday 5 to 9. Waking up early the next day leaves me completely not in the mood to do anything after work. That narrows my available time down to friday night and the weekend. This time last year I WAS working 7 days a week.
Believe it or not i have to eat, this usually requires shopping. I have to do housework. I have to go to Church every Sunday. I have to mark homeworks. My time quickly starts to fade away.
As for, "You never call". I've never been much of a phone person, quite often find it hard to understand people on the phone, not surprising when u consider something daft like 80% of communication is through body language. Besides which, a phone works both ways, if we haven't spoken on the phone it's not completely down to me right?
On top of which I AM married. I am not ashamed of the fact that Jean is the center of my universe now. Nor do I take back or regret my recent comment that Jean is my best friend. Maybe I'm strange, but I kinda grew up thinking that's how things were suppose to be when you got married.

Comming from Aline, who when asked, "Who is your best friend?" replied, "Everyone.", I'm surprised she made such a fuss over that best friend thing at all.

Have I changed? Yes. Yes I have. I think we all have. I think most people in the world are different now than how they were 3 years ago. Especially people like Beth (aged 3) and Anya (aged 5 months). I've become much more aware of the world around me. I guess in some ways I've matured. But if you stick some loud music on and hand me a drink I'll probably still dance 'better' than everyone else put together, sing like an idiot and have a great time doing it.
Do I still think certain pointless things are cute, funny or cool? Yes, but I just don't want SO many of them lying round in my house. Am I still Dave Caveman, international sex symbol, Man of Love, baby? Some things will never change.

I hope whoever reads this has a great day. I really am a happy chappy, even if parts of that sounded less than chappy standards. I enjoy my life and I'm usually proud of it. I do miss some of the times we had together and i do like spending time with everyone.

See you all soon."

'Oh well,' Dave thought to himself, 'This is very nice Minty McFlurry."

"Shall we go home?"

1 comment:

Limanim said...

dont worry d, i'm happy with the amount of time we see each other. In fact my new years resolution will be to see even less of you and my other friends